No matter the latest challenge you’ve set for yourself – whether it’s tackling your first 5km run as a novice runner or beating your personal best at your next marathon – nothing can substitute dedication, power and performance in achieving your goals.
Training to continuously better your best effort requires dedication, to do what it takes to reach your goal. It also needs the power and energy to endure the most physically (and mentally) demanding workouts. Lastly, there’s bringing all that together to perform to the best of your capabilities. When performance matters, the right gear can make all the difference. After all, finding the right running shoes for you to achieve your goal can spell the difference between having your shoes work with you or against you.
So whether you’re in the gym strength training or putting your training to practice on the road, make sure you have the best shoes to support your purpose. To help you zero-in on what shoes would be the best for each job, we’ve outlined our favourites from Nike and Asics, all of which are available at The Athlete’s Foot.
L-R: Asics GEL-Kayano 24, Asics GEL-Nimbus 19, Nike Free RN Distance 2, Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34
FOR STRENGTH TRAINING
Nike Free RN Distance 2
- Nested Auxetic Design – Auxetic tristars on the outsole, provides six different flex points for fluid flexibility when training.
- Free-floating Mesh Bootie – Wraps and secures the foot, delivering stability with each stride.
- Lunarlon Cushioning – Soft, reengineered Lunarlon foam provides a smooth, cushioned transition.
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34
- Dynamic Flywire – A technology which secures a one-to-one personalised fit, so you can run that extra distance in comfort.
- Flymesh upper – A seamless mesh construction engineered to provide lightweight ventilation and support.
- Zoom Air Units – Positioned in the forefoot and heel to deliver low-profile responsive cushioning during your workout.
FOR RUNNING AND SPRINTING
ASICS GEL-Nimbus 19
- Gel Cushioning – Located both in the heel and forefoot of the shoe, the gel cushioning provides maximum comfort for the entirety of your run.
- Fluid Fit Upper – A gradient mesh that mimics stress zones on the skin. Tighter weave mesh panels for high stress zones and looser weave in low stress areas create optimal fit and comfort.
- Guidance Trusstic – A Trusstic system that integrates the Guidance Line construction to provide structural integrity in the mid foot for higher-arched feet.
ASICS GEL-Kayano 24
- Jacquard Upper Mesh– Layered medial support that helps lock the foot on the platform, and offers an adaptive fit.
- Meta Heel Clutch – The external heel-counter wraps the medial and lateral side of the ankle for a personalised fit and increased heel hold.
- FlyteFoam Technology – Organic fibres bounce back into their original shape in the space of each stride to provide supreme lightweight cushioning.